Your free business listing on Google is often your first impression with potential customers. Use this guide to claim your listing and engage with your customers across Google Search and Maps.
Why is my Google listing so important?
Here are some compelling statistics about search:
- 70% of mobile searches result in action being taken within an hour
- 46% of Google searches are looking for local information.
- 72% of consumers are searching for options within 5 miles of their location.
- 97% of people learn more about a local company online than anywhere else.
Before you spend a penny on Search Engine Marketing (PPC), make sure your free listings are optimized.
Claim your Google My Business Page
First, Google your business name. Chances are pretty good that you have a listing already & simply need to claim it. If you find it, click on the “Own this business?” link. If your listing is already claimed then you need to log in to Google My Business. Search for your business & then select the “request access” option & follow the prompts. You will be asked to verify your business via phone or postcard.
Need help? Google has step-by-step directions here.
Tips to optimize your Google My Business Profile
- Add as much information as possible: Most people won’t click through to your website, so provide everything you possibly can on your listing to stand out among your competition.
- Update your photos: Make sure you upload photos that show off your business. When people see your listing on a map they will often only see a photo, your business name, and location.
- Respond To Reviews: Encourage your customers to leave reviews & make sure that you respond to each one. This shows prospects that you are engaged.
- Post Updates: Google allows you to publish temporary updates, information on products, offers, and events.
Get your business to the top of the Page
OK, so your listing is perfect. One problem, it’s showing on page 3 of the results. Google is loyal to the users that are performing the search, not the businesses showing up as results. Their goal is to make sure the most relevant result is shown for their specific search in their location from their device. There is one exception, Search Engine Marketing.
That’s where we come in. We can help you find your way to the top of the search results page. We offer increased visibility for companies on a budget.